BITES AND STINGS - Toxicology Dogs - Pet Care Information from GreenCross Vets Australia
Login Register Now
Dogs - Toxicology - BITES AND STINGS

BITES AND STINGS

Stings from insects (eg. bees, wasps, hornets, ants) usually cause pain just at the site the animal is bitten and usually just harmless reactions.

However, some pets may have more acute (quick) and life threatening reactions that will need immediate veterinary treatment.

WHAT SIGNS DO YOU SEE?

A - Local reactions:

  • Pain
  • Itchy
  • Redness and swelling in the area that has been stung
  • Hives (little lumps over the skin)

B - Severe reactions:

  • Difficulty breathing
  • Vomiting/diarrhoea
  • Shock/collapse/coma

WHAT DO YOU DO?

Local reactions

  • When possible remove the embedded stingers.  This can be done with tweezers or by gently scraping the area with a flat edge, eg. a credit card.
  • DO NOT SQUEEZE THE STINGER AS THIS MAY RELEASE FURTHER IRRITANT
  • Apply a cold pack to the swollen area

Stings in the mouth

  • Usually causes swelling of the mouth and often the animal will “paw” at its mouth.
  • Try and remove the sting and then apply an ice pack.

General reactions that are severe (see B)

It is best to seek veterinary attention immediately, especially if they are stung in the throat area and have trouble breathing.


Back to Toxicology articles.